Kernel compilation

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at magicfx.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 16:09:22 UTC 2003

Hi all, could you help me with this? Thanks.

The following were extracted from /var/log/syslog:

1. /etc/hotplug/net.agent: NET unregistered event not supported

I looked in net.agent and found the "event not supported" line but no
clue as to what the "NET unregistered" means.

2. pppd[1616]: kernel does not support PPP filtering

looked in the kernel config file and yes I did not select the
filtering option, do I have to re-compile the kernel to allow this?

3. no (mtrr)

What is this and do I need it compiled in?

4. host/uhci.c:fcc0:suspend_hc
   host/uhci.c:fcc0:wakeup_hc

This is repeated 35 times then

   host/uhci.c:fcc0:host controller halted, very bad

5. modprobe:modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0

I did not configure any sound modules as non matched the Soundblaster
config that worked best using sndconfig in 2.4.21
Do I need to re-compile to add all the modules and then run sndconfig
to get my speakers to work.

6. modprobe:modprobe: Can't locate module supermount

I think this is where my mnt problems lie, as I did allow support for
MSDOS, FAT32, NTFS, along with a few other Linux native fs's.

7. modprobe:modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-29

eh?, doesn't seem to affect anything

8. modprobe:modprobe: Can't locate module sb

related to 5. above?

9.
Oct 9 10:54:35 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
supermount

Oct 9 10:54:35 localhost mount: mount: fs type supermount not supported
by kernel

Oct 9 10:54:35 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
supermount

Oct 9 10:54:35 localhost kernel: MSDOS FS: IO charset iso8859-15

Oct 9 10:54:35 localhost kernel: MSDOS FS: Using codepage 850

Oct 9 10:54:35 localhost mount: mount: fs type supermount not supported
by kernel

Oct 9 10:54:35 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
nls_iso8859-15

Oct 9 10:54:35 localhost kernel: FAT: freeing iocharset=iso8859-15

Oct 9 10:54:35 localhost mount: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad
superblock on /dev/hda1,

Oct 9 10:54:35 localhost mount: or too many mounted file systems

All the above I believe is related to the missing supermount module?