How to setup DMA on my CD-RW?

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Thu Oct 9 16:13:04 UTC 2003

HoytDuff wrote:

>On Thursday 09 October 2003 03:16 am, shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
>

>>steps to reproduce:
>>
>>1. go to
>>http://www.distrowatch.com/
>>
>>2. go to redhat  [#1 mandrake #2 redhat]
>>http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redhat
>>
>Neither step is intuitive. Distrowatch for documentation?

you know where you have to go for the redhat-docu ;-)
do you know where you have to go for eg. PLD-Linux ?
sure, the first step should be the homepage.

>Like many things Linux, it's easy once you know the solution. Could you have
>found it had you not already known the answer? Possibly, but it's not as easy
>as you make it out to be.
>
>Here's a more real-world approach:
>
>1. Start by searching http://www.google.com/linux for "How to setup DMA on my
>CD-RW". This assumes that you know enough to use better places to search for
>info.

the most problems are discussed several times in the list.
if the solution is not in my own list-archives i use google.

>options ide-cd dma=1"
>
>Which, I believe, was in the release notes for Red Hat 8, the version that
>author was addressing.

was in the phoebe-list too
ask  elton woo, philip wyet, ...

eg.
2003-03-11
subject: hdparm-settings

---snip----

As I understand it the preferred method for turning on cd/cdr/rw dma is
not with 'hdparm' but by editing '/etc/modules.conf' and adding the
following line.

options ide-cd dma=1

But if I am mistaken, someone will correct me no doubt.

Regards

Philip Wyett

----snap----
2003-03-12
subject: new comments added to bug reports

----snip----
>options ide-cd dma=1

Bugs:85007, 85818, 84160, 85819.

I'm still having failures erasing/recording *new* 2x CDRW disks,
but for 4x and upwards, four sessions of burns / erasures
with X-CD-Roast, and Gnome Toaster have gone OK!

Thanks,

Elton

----snap----

>But where was that originally documented? In the docs for sysconfig which you
>had to know about before asking the question.

not sure, perhaps here:
/usr/src/linux-2.4.*/Documentation/
because it is not here
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt

>Finding information is all about knowing what questions to ask and knowing
>where to ask them. Because of that, it's not an easy task.

finding the needed information is a process who should start before you
have a problem ;-)

$ du -sh /mozilla/ /data4/doku/
379M    /mozilla
404M    /data4/doku