battery app using much cpu

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Oct 10 21:06:05 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 20:56, Shawn Houston wrote:
> I installed Fedora Core, Severn, on my Averatec 3150HS laptop. I got
> pretty much everything but the sleep function working.
>
> I added the battery applet to my Gnome task bar, and under kernel
> 2.4.22-1.2062.nptl top show 8.8% cpu used by this app. A lot, but
> bearable. Under kernel 2.4.22-1.2087.nptl this jumps to 49%! I am
> guessing that some bad programming in the battery app is to blame, the
> new kernel just makes it show better.
>
> Anyone else see this?

Yes.  It was caused on my machine by having a laptop that did not like
acpi.  Try using apm instead and see what happens.

Yes, it is a bad solution, but it worked for me...

         alan at clueserver.org - alan at ctrl-alt-del.com

    "...new-fangled and artificial treasons have been the great
    engines by which violent factions, the natural offspring of
    free government, have usually wreaked their alternate
    malignity on each other...."
                  - James Madison in The Federalist No. 43,