redhat-install-packages

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Sat Oct 11 14:33:25 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 21:14, James Drabb wrote:
> I get this message when I try to run redhat-install-packages:
>
> Your account does not have permissions to run redhat-install-packages
>   Administrator level permissions are needed to run this program
>   because it can install and remove system packages.
>
> Normally when I run other admin type packages as a normal user, I get
> prompeted for the root password.  Is there anyway to turn this
> functionality back on for redhat-install-packages?

The files /etc/security/console.apps/redhat-install-packages and
/etc/pam.d/redhat-install-packages are supposed to take care of this,
but before writing this, I went to check on my own system, and those
files were missing. You can use rpm to check your own system:

rpm -V redhat-config-packages

If the results show the files missing, doing the following should take
care of the problem (the package hasn't changed since the original test2
release):

rpm -Uvh --force /path/to/redhat-config-packages-1.9.1-1.noarch.rpm

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE