ncftp is not so nice

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Oct 11 20:33:45 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 15:49, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> I just tried gFTP. I see the same thing happening overthere. I have a
> broadband connection (512kbps) with a wireless access point. I'm
> connecting to a fast ftp server. So I'm getting maximum troughput
> (around 50kB/s) from it. I would expect that  the TCP/IP stack would be
> configured such, that other applications can still get some bandwidth if
> they need it. Such that I can still read the web or fetch mail while I'm
> downloading. Did the same test on Windooz XP and see the same behaviour.
>
> Jaap

Maybe ask your ISP what is going on?  I have a 256kbps/128kbps cable
modem and I often have several downloads going at once while reading
mail and browsing /., all getting very good download speeds.

Is there some type of firewall only allowing one outgoing connection at
a time?

Jim Drabb
--
James Drabb