How to duplicate a HD using dd

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 12 02:43:53 UTC 2003

From: "Thiago Vinhas de Moraes" <tvinhas at techbyte.com.br>

> Em Sáb, 2003-10-11 às 20:12, jdow escreveu:
>
> > Actually, I use a slightly different script.
> > I copy exactly one block starting at block zero. Then I copy the rest
> > of the logical cylinder skipping the first block on the two disks. Then
> > I copy by logical cylinders for the rest of the disk, skipping the first
> > cylinders on the two disks.
>
> What script exactly do you use?

I create it anew each time I need it, I've needed it so infrequently.
I don't have a copy handy. It's not really beyond mortal ken to figure
out how to do it if you RTFMP and play with "skip" and "seek" at all
intelligently. (Gratuitous hint, the first cylinder in the verbal
script above must be copied with a 512 byte block size for 16064 blocks
because seek and skip work in terms of blocks.)

{^_^}