HP PSC Printers

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Sun Oct 12 12:57:28 UTC 2003

Anyone have any experience with the HP PSC combo printers with Fedora?

My father just bought a PSC2410xi yesterday and I was helping him to
install it. We've connected it to a usb port. While he is still running
Red Hat 9 at the moment, I do intend to upgrade his system to Fedora
once 1.0 hits. Frankly, the usb, hpoj and libsane-hpoj drivers on RH9
with this device, ..ummm ...stink big time.

Using the hpoj and libsane-hpoj drivers that come with RH9, the printer
is completely unstable. Any attempt to print or scan anything
immediately results in the entire system locking up. We're talking all
you can do is power off and back on again. I've seen this before on
Fedora when trying to make things work with my USB connected Palm Pilot.
I must say that the latest Fedora updates seem to be better.

My father's printer works just fine using the standard hpijs drivers and
NOT using the hpoj stuff, but then the scanner functions obviously don't
work. I really think this is a usb driver issue on RH9, but I'm not sure
and I'm quite concerned this has carried over to Fedora as well. If this
would work reliably, I would consider getting one myself in a few weeks.
Other's experience and advice is welcome!

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,