HP PSC Printers

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Oct 12 22:05:38 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-12 at 08:57, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with the HP PSC combo printers with Fedora?
>
> My father just bought a PSC2410xi yesterday and I was helping him to
> install it. We've connected it to a usb port. While he is still running
> Red Hat 9 at the moment, I do intend to upgrade his system to Fedora
> once 1.0 hits. Frankly, the usb, hpoj and libsane-hpoj drivers on RH9
> with this device, ..ummm ...stink big time.

You need to grab the newest versions of hpijs and hpoj from Rawhide.

> Using the hpoj and libsane-hpoj drivers that come with RH9, the printer
> is completely unstable. Any attempt to print or scan anything
> immediately results in the entire system locking up. We're talking all
> you can do is power off and back on again. I've seen this before on
> Fedora when trying to make things work with my USB connected Palm Pilot.
> I must say that the latest Fedora updates seem to be better.

This goes away with the newer versions.  I have a PSC 2110 3-in-1 and it
prints/scans/copies great.

Here are the steps.

I followed this guide
http://cyberelk.net/tim/hpoj.html

You should run the print configuration GUI and delete out your printer
and try again.

It is important that you download these three RPM's and upgrade them
with rpm -Uvh *.rpm

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/hpijs-1.4-11.i386.rpm
http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/hpoj-0.90-19.i386.rpm
http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/libsane-hpoj-0.90-19.i386.rpm

In a terminal as root. If you have an /etc/init.d/hpoj.rpmnew file, make
sure to rename it with:
  mv -f /etc/init.d/hpoj.rpmnew /etc/init.d/hpoj

You also need to run up2date to make sure you have the most recent
versions of redhat-config-printer and redhat-config-printer-gui.
If you don't have an account you can use apt by following these
instructions:
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/jdrabb/apt/

Now it is time to setup the printer.  Run this command as root:
  service hpoj setup

Answer no when it asks to scan your parallel port and answer yes to let
is scan the USB port.  You should be able to just hit enter for all the
other options to accept the default.

Now run
  chkconfig hpoj
and
  service hpoj start

You should now be able to run the printer setup GUI to add the printer.
Select the locally attached printer, it should have a name that starts
with PTAL.

I followed these steps and the printer has worked great for me.

> Cheers,
>
> Chris

Jim Drabb
--