RFE: Choose additional/new packages during upgrade

John Alexander Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Tue Oct 14 05:03:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 09:49:13PM -0700, Sean Earp wrote:
> When upgrading an installation of Fedora (ie from RH 9), you do not
> have the option of selecting any additional packages.  Anaconda just
> upgrades the packages that you already have installed.  Wouldn't it
> make sense to have the option of choosing additional/new packages
> during the upgrade process?

I think that it would make sense to at least give the option of adding
packages which are present in the new version but which weren't in
the version you're upgrading from.  Or, if that's too difficult, at
least the ones which are new to the new version.

Similarly it would perhaps make sense to offer to remove deleted packages,
especially in the case of things like pine, which breaks anyway on upgrade.

John Thacker