Wlan problem and enterprise neads

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Tue Oct 14 08:02:47 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 06:31:53AM -0700, Joshua Legbandt wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 06:08, Hemgren, Christer wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I 'm using the latest "Severn Beta 2 (i386)" updated 12 Oct on a Compaq
> > laptop and are
> > very pleased with it, but i have problem with the PCMCIA wlan cards.
> >
> > It's got broken after a up2date. I can use the Cisco aironet 350 as i hade
> > one the install moment but when i shift to "PRISMA2" chipset card Netgear
> > MA401, it don't work. Kudzu finds it.
> >
> > The "Netgear MA401" worke to associate with the CISCO AP1200 before it got
> > broken using
> >
> > iwconfig eth2 essid "secret"
> >
> > But the Cisco aironet 350 card don't associate if it is not a broadcasted
> > ssid (by a sheep 3Com AP at home)!!!!
> >
> > I have try Arjan's "2.6 test7.1.52.rpm" kernel and in that no wlan card or
> > USB mouse works.
>
> Using Arjan's 2.6-test7.1.51 and 2.6-test7.1.52 kernels, I have been
> unable to get my wireless to work as well, using the kernels out of
> rawhide/fedora-updates wlan works just fine. I only recently started
> using the 2.6 kernels since test7 when they started working with my
> touchpad and my usb mouse, so I don't know if wlan worked in previous
> releases. The problem I'm seeing, is that even though it looks like my
> pcmcia card is recognized, the ethernet the alias between the card and
> eth1 (on my system) is not created. I'm willing to provide whatever logs
> or other debugging info might be helpful towards resolving this
> (however, I haven't had the time to dig into it myself yet)...

I see the same thing.
I believe it has something to do with some combination of "initscripts" and
2.6-kernel.
It worked just fine until 2.6-test6-something, (don't remember exactly which
one).
The reason I believe it is the initscripts is that that package was updated
at the same time as the kernel, and after a reboot I could not use the
wireless-card.
It did not work even if I rebooted to a (2.6) kernel that used to work before the
"apt-get upgrade" that broke something.
IE.
I used to run 2.6-test6-x just fine
Then I upgraded to 2.6-test6-y, and initscripts at the same time.
After a reboot, my wireless-card stopped working.
After a reboot back to -x it still did not work.

All the latest 2.4-kernels work just fine though.

The most imprtant thing I see, is that "yenta_socket" is not loaded when
pcmcia is started, which gives me a "no sockets found"-error.

But even if I rmmod all modules (orinoco_cs, orinoco, ds, hermes, and
pcmcia_core), and the modprobe yenta_socket before restarting pcmcia, it
won't work.
The error I get is something like
"Can't bind orinoco_cs to slot 0: no such device" (sorry, I don't have my
laptop here).

Btw.  This is an old ZyAir100 802.11b card in a "no name" laptop.

I should ofcourse have reported this as soon as I discovered the bug, so I
had all the right version-numbers, but I was to buzzy, and thought it would
be fixed soon anyway...

--