test 3 installation comments/questions

Edward C. Bailey ed at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 20:58:19 UTC 2003

>>>>> "msf" == Michael Fulbright <msf at redhat.com> writes:
msf> I do agree there is the issue of how do you let the user know the
msf> installer hasn't fallen over. I got rid of the individual package
msf> progress bar because it basically flashes left to right in about 1
msf> seconds for 90% of the packages and is visually noisy.  Perhaps there
msf> is another way to give intra-package feedback I haven't thought of.

All it needs to be is some sort of throbber that's tickled by the
individual packages' "percent-installed" indicator.  Cycle the color map on
a chunk of screen real estate, move a second hand around the face of a
stopwatch, whatever -- it just needs to show some sign of life as each
package install proceeds...

                                Ed
--
Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/