Services

Mattias Dahlberg p00mda at du.se
Wed Oct 15 09:18:59 UTC 2003

Hi,

There have been many discussions on how to make the startup faster. One of
the easiest ways is to turn off any services that you don't need. In regard
to this I wonder about some services that are started by default (even in
the Personal Desktop setup) and whether it would be possible to detect if
the user really needs them or not.

Two examples: pcmcia and isdn. Because pcmcia has always been started by
default (even on non-laptops) I presume there's no reliable way to detect
if the computer has pcmcia slots or not? How about isdn, maybe it could be
included only if a modem has been detected?

Other services that are on by default: nfslock, sendmail and sshd. Any way
it could be detected if the user actually needs these? When I installed
Fedora Core test3 nfs wasn't started, but nfslock was. Maybe sshd could be
added only if OpenSSH has been configured?

Just curious.

Regards,
Mattias