XFree86 available via yum

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 11:39:29 UTC 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Jim Cornette wrote:

>> I have made XFree86 available via yum on people.redhat.com.  This
>> is my first time setting up a yum repository, and I've never used
>> the yum client, so I have no idea how successful this is
>> currently.  I've pointed out the repository to many people in IRC
>> for a day and a half and gotten no good nor bad feedback, so I
>> determined that wasn't the best place to look for testers or
>> feedback.
>>
>> Please test the repository out, and feel free to provide feedback
>> both good and/or bad about it.
>>
>> 	ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/unstable
>>
>> XFree86-4.3.0-39 is there right now for x86, ppc, x86_64, and ia64
>
>I installed the new versions from the repository. I then tried going to
>the system settings >> display. It asked for a password, but did not go
>any further.
>
>Running the script from a gnome-terminal gave me this error. I logged
>out to X to a terminal, then after startx, tried the display command
>mentioned above.

You didn't just update XFree86 however.  You upgraded
redhat-config-xfree86 and other things, and that is what broke
your setup.  Update to the latest rawhide packages, and run
redhat-config-xfree86 again.  If it fails, report a bug against
that package.  That has nothing to do with my XFree86 update
however as that isn't executing any code from XFree86 packaging.

Hope this helps.