Impressions - Class installed test3 last night

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Wed Oct 15 12:27:23 UTC 2003

I had my class install test 3 last night and you can really tell the
improvements!

There's one person in our class who, because of a variety of issues, has
a *lot* of experience installing and re-installing all of the software
we have tried <grin>. He was able to install test 3 on the first
attempt. No issues at all. He was actually the second person in the
class to finish.

Everyone agreed the new install screens with "less visual noise" was a
good thing. It looks *much* better. The graphical boot - and more
importantly - the mouse, works reliably now at first bootup. It never
did before.

The one thing we did find is that we enabled the firewall and then set
the eth0 interface to allow all traffic. This caused samba (and a few
other things like ssh) not to work. Disabling the firewall instead
allowed samba to magically act as it should. I'm not sure if that's a
bug, but to me if you are going to install a firewall and allow all
traffic through on one particular interface, this should be as if there
is no firewall on that interface. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Overall, the class agreed test3 is definitely close to what it should be
for a base install. I'm sure many will want to use the final code when
it is ready.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,