redhat-config-xfree86

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Wed Oct 15 15:11:31 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 10:37, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> If the default AGP mode does not result in a working X server,
> please file a bug report.  In the future, the X server is going
> to be changed to use the highest AGP mode available that should
> be compatible with the given card/motherboard chipset for all
> hardware.  If incompatibilities or hardware oddities are found,
> they'll be blacklisted.

The default works but using it seemed to be "better".  I assume that "in the
future" is not this time around so using it now is still "OK" (see below).

> The AGPmode setting if used at all, should identically match the
> setting used in the computer CMOS settings.  A user who is aware
> of that, is generally technically advanced enough to be able to
> edit the config file by hand IMHO without needing an overly
> complex GUI to do it.  Also, I don't believe Windows has a GUI
> method of changing the AGP mode, so we shouldn't even need one
> either.  ;o)

At this point, I do not remember where I ran across the info about AGPmode but
it implied that it would improve performance.  To me (very subjective), it
did seem to improve performance when I started using it and so I continued
using it.  If you tell me that the performance improvement was all in my head
and wishful thinking, then I will likely stop using it.  BTW, the hardware
is:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV200 QW
[Radeon 7500]

... a real ATI device and not a clone.

It definitely makes sense to drop this stuff from the GUI tool since X seems
to be evolving toward something which determines the best parameters to run
and then uses them without the user needing to do anything.
--
Gene