XFree86 available via yum

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 17:27:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:

>> people.redhat.com appears to be using RHL 7.3.  no idea where the
>> admin got yum from to install on this version of the OS, but I
>> can't complain.  ;o)
>
>The yum 1.x branch exists for machines running on rpm 4.0.x .
>If you really want to use yum 2.x on RHL 7.3, you can just upgrade rpm.

Very unlikely that anyone with administrative rights to
people.redhat.com is going to upgrade RPM on the box just for the
sake of yum, and risk destabilizing the entire machine and
creating a day or more work for themselves IMHO.  I wouldn't even
consider to ask them, because if I were an admin, I'd laugh at
someone even suggesting it if I were responsible for the box in
question.  ;o)