redhat-config-xfree86

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 18:12:11 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Gene C. wrote:

>> If the default AGP mode does not result in a working X server,
>> please file a bug report.  In the future, the X server is going
>> to be changed to use the highest AGP mode available that should
>> be compatible with the given card/motherboard chipset for all
>> hardware.  If incompatibilities or hardware oddities are found,
>> they'll be blacklisted.
>
>The default works but using it seemed to be "better".  I assume that "in the
>future" is not this time around so using it now is still "OK" (see below).

"ok" in the sense that if it works cool.  ;o)  If it breaks, you
get to keep both pieces.  ;o)

>> The AGPmode setting if used at all, should identically match the
>> setting used in the computer CMOS settings.  A user who is aware
>> of that, is generally technically advanced enough to be able to
>> edit the config file by hand IMHO without needing an overly
>> complex GUI to do it.  Also, I don't believe Windows has a GUI
>> method of changing the AGP mode, so we shouldn't even need one
>> either.  ;o)
>
>At this point, I do not remember where I ran across the info about AGPmode but
>it implied that it would improve performance.  To me (very subjective), it
>did seem to improve performance when I started using it and so I continued
>using it.  If you tell me that the performance improvement was all in my head
>and wishful thinking, then I will likely stop using it.  BTW, the hardware
>is:

The AGP mode setting configures the X server to use the same AGP
mode that the BIOS is set to.  Proper usage:  Edit BIOS CMOS
settings to set the AGP mode, boot Linux, edit X config file,
specify same AGPmode setting.

This setting *only* affects 3D OpenGL applications.

>01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV200 QW
>[Radeon 7500]
>
>... a real ATI device and not a clone.

Doesn't matter nowadays if one is using Built by ATI or Powered
by ATI hardware.  Any major problems have been sorted out by now
in 4.3.0.

>It definitely makes sense to drop this stuff from the GUI tool
>since X seems to be evolving toward something which determines
>the best parameters to run and then uses them without the user
>needing to do anything.

Indeed, and 4.4.0 will be the first real attempt for the X server
to be able to start up on it's own with zero user configuration.
Mostly useful for simple setups and for things like OS
installation software, etc.

The trend is to autodetect and autoconfigure as much as possible.
It'll take a while before that goal is completely achieved
though.