XFree86 available via yum

Wed Oct 15 18:14:56 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>
> >> I truely have no idea what this has to do with me providing
> >> XFree86 via FTP and yum via FTP.
> >
> >I think they want http access to the ftp site. Some one
> >mentioned better download speed with http. It's probably a
> >configuration/firewall issue on their end though. But they want
> >to use an http URL for yum since it's faster for them currently.

HTTP has better access times, because it only needs one port open, and
doesn't typically have a log in procedure for anonymous access.  Even anon
FTP still has to log in for every file (or at least for every server).
You can definately see the difference with APT, especially on higher
latency connections.

 -- noah silva