Services

Joakim Ryden jryden at thebox.our-own.net
Wed Oct 15 20:14:29 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 12:59 pm, Martin Stricker wrote:
[...]
> I don't like to install anything that I don't really need - which is why
> I keep a very detailed kickstart file around... ;-)) Anyone who dislikes
> unnecessary software and services usually nows how to disable/uninstall
> them. It is not always easy to decide what software should be
> installed/started by default, but I think Red Hat does a good job here.

I think the opposite is true as well. Think about the average user who doesn't
want a lot of cruft on his system--is he then to go into advanced package
selection mode and deselect stuff he has no clue about? Or start poking
around removing packages after installation breaking all sorts of things?
This is sort of hard because I think it's generally pretty much equally
difficult to know what to install versus what not to install.

I definitely see the point of "better safe than sorry so let's install more
than less" but I'm not sure I agree with it.

--Jo