Services

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 16 03:08:46 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 01:14:29PM -0700, Joakim Ryden wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 October 2003 12:59 pm, Martin Stricker wrote:
> [...]
> > I don't like to install anything that I don't really need - which is why
> > I keep a very detailed kickstart file around... ;-)) Anyone who dislikes
> > unnecessary software and services usually nows how to disable/uninstall
> > them. It is not always easy to decide what software should be
> > installed/started by default, but I think Red Hat does a good job here.
>
> I think the opposite is true as well. Think about the average user who doesn't
> want a lot of cruft on his system--is he then to go into advanced package
> selection mode and deselect stuff he has no clue about? Or start poking
> around removing packages after installation breaking all sorts of things?
> This is sort of hard because I think it's generally pretty much equally
> difficult to know what to install versus what not to install.

I don't want to speak for RH but I am sure their response would be
something like "joe average user doesn't know what the hell he/she
wants so how would he/she know there is cruft there anyway".

> I definitely see the point of "better safe than sorry so let's install more
> than less" but I'm not sure I agree with it.

I've given up whining about this and just ensure that the first thing I
do is nuke all the unnecessary services across all pertinent runlevels
as my first order of business after a RH install. Call me anal but it is
tantamount to the difference in the size of a roll-your-own kernel and a
default RH kernel. Speaks volumes.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca