up2date -p with yum

Justin Georgeson jgeorgeson at lopht.net
Thu Oct 16 03:10:56 UTC 2003

Jason wrote:
> What is the equivelant of up2date -p when using in conjunction with yum.  It
> spits out a message something about not having an online profile when using
> yum (sorry im not in front of the system, I can get it if necessary)

there is none. yum is pretty much stateless in this respect. I looks at
the repo, and compares what's there with what you have installed on-the-fly.

> Long story short when I run up2date it keeps trying to download packages
> because it believes I have outdated versions installed and then fails to
> install them because I already have current versions installed.  up2date -p
> doesn't fix it (for the obvious reason mentioned about), but wondering what
> the equivelant action is.

not sure on this one other than to say there have been a few threads of
people saying it installs multiple versions of the same software. You
might look at 'up2date --configure' for relevant options. Have a look in
the archives for the recent threads.