AMD Athlon64 Systems -- dual-940 boards with AGP+PCI-X are still costly ...

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Thu Oct 16 13:08:18 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 04:09, leam wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 01:21, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> >
> >>On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 23:31, seth vidal wrote:
> >>
> So, for those of us who are AMD fans but don't know a lot about
> motherboard selection and history, what is recommended? Who are the
> "good" producers? What is good to read up on this before shopping?

Leam

I have had good success with my Tyan Thunder K7X (S2468UGN) w/dual
Athlon 2800+ MP processors, 3G of memory, 63G of SCSI firmware RAID5,
and a Matrox 450 driving two 21" monitors. It's installed in a large
enclosure with plenty of cooling.

My Tyan is a file & print server and power workstation running multiple
VMware sessions. It has been running RH9 for months with just two
reboots -- one to upgrade from the original 2200+ CPUs and the other
after a lengthy commercial power outage.

I don't doubt Seth Vidal has had problems, but his criticisms of Tyan
may be too broad. His cluster project would be a serious engineering
challenge for most motherboards -- especially in rack-mount enclosures
where it's tough to push enough air through to keep CPU temps within
spec.

Just my $0.02.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL