AMD Athlon64 Systems -- dual-940 boards with AGP+PCI-X are still costly ...

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Oct 16 13:25:57 UTC 2003

> Leam
>
> I have had good success with my Tyan Thunder K7X (S2468UGN) w/dual
> Athlon 2800+ MP processors, 3G of memory, 63G of SCSI firmware RAID5,
> and a Matrox 450 driving two 21" monitors. It's installed in a large
> enclosure with plenty of cooling.

> I don't doubt Seth Vidal has had problems, but his criticisms of Tyan
> may be too broad. His cluster project would be a serious engineering
> challenge for most motherboards -- especially in rack-mount enclosures
> where it's tough to push enough air through to keep CPU temps within
> spec.

as I mentioned in my email - I had these problems with the tiger, not
the thunder and in general I distrust the first line of motherboards for
any new chipset.

Leam,
  If you're looking to get a new athlon or opteron system go talk to
pogolinux or penguincomputing - they have good warranties and have
actually done testing on their machines and they really know their way
around linux.

-sv