Speakup in kernel

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-722-7209 wacker at octothorp.org
Fri Oct 17 05:20:29 UTC 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Will Backman wrote:

> Speakup was in the shipping kernel for a bit (was it Redhat 8?), then out
> due to some issues.
> Any word on if those issues have been worked out?
The two problems that the RH folks, Matt Wilson in particular, mentioned
have been fixed.  The problem with non-English keyboards, and
modularization.  Only $DEITY knows if RH will ever put it back into the
kernel.  Kernels for all supported versions of RHL/Fedora can be found at
ftp://linux-speakup.org/pub/disks/redhat/.  Complete Speakup enabled ISO
images for 8.0 and 9 can also be found there.  When FC-1 is released, I'll
build them also.  BTW, the ISO's for 9 are fully up to date.  The latest
version can have its modules manually included in an initrd.img file so it
starts upon boot.

          HTH.
--
          Bill in Denver