New extra packages and yum repository

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 10:27:14 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 01:11, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Chris Ricker wrote:
>
> >> I'd like to see the RSS-GLX included in redhat, or at least one of the
> >> fedora servers.. I have seen rss-gls packages by at least one other
> >> person, and by Ximian too...

> >> If we're going to ship screen savers, we may as well ship good ones...
> >
> >As a counter-argument, though, there are enough problems with the GL-based
> >xscreensaver savers crashing X servers already, without adding more eye
> >candy into the mix which'll do the same (and if you look in bugzilla, you'll
> >find there are already bug reports in there from RSS crashing X servers)
>
> I'm a bit mixed feeling about this.  On one side, I'm kindof a
> bit curious as to wether the rss screensavers are 100% copyright
> clean, and comments on their website or in the source before
> triggered my legal warning alarm, although I have no idea what it
> was now as that was a year or more ago.

I guess you mean this sentence on the web site:

"After some licensing problems preventing inclusion in XScreenSaver
(which is BSD/X licensed), my original intent, I've been asked to
release my work in a standalone package."

I read this like this: jwz doesn't want GPLed code in xscreensavers so
rss-glx has to be released separately.

Can you elaborate what you mean with "comments [...] in the source"?

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com