Xfree GL still does not coexist with the nVidia drivers

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 13:11:35 UTC 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Elton Woo wrote:

>XFree86-Mesa-libGL had to be removed using the --nodeps flag.
>Before installing the nVidia drivers with Fedora Core Test 3, the
>GL screensavers ran with no problems, but I had to install the
>dirvers to counteract the jittery mouse pointer in TuxRacer.
>Then, to re-enable the GL screen-savers, I had to remove XFree GL

I made the package so that it could be uninstalled and replaced
by an alternative libGL.  Since the OS ships with libGL linked
software, what exactly do you propose as a solution?

Unless someone can genius up an acceptable and reasonable
solution which doesn't have high implementation or package
maintenance costs, then the existing solution will more or less
remain.

Nvidia doesn't seem to even care, as they just blow away random
rpm installed files on a whim anyway.  Perhaps I should have rpm
postinstall scripts mark the files immutable or something.