New extra packages and yum repository

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 13:18:08 UTC 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Noah Silva [Mailing list] wrote:

>> > I'm a bit mixed feeling about this.  On one side, I'm kindof a
>> > bit curious as to wether the rss screensavers are 100% copyright
>> > clean, and comments on their website or in the source before
>> > triggered my legal warning alarm, although I have no idea what it
>> > was now as that was a year or more ago.
>
>Not that this is iron-clad or anything, but Ximian had no
>problem shipping them with XD2.

Perhaps Ximian isn't worried about getting sued?  Or perhaps they
just don't care?  Maybe they had lawyers investigate and
determined for themselves that they thought any risks were worth
it?

I guess each company makes those kind of decisions for itself and
guages it's legal risks, much in the same way that if one's
friend jumped off a really high bridge and hadn't hit ground yet,
one would still probably think about it and decide for one's self
wether or not it would be a good idea to follow one's friend and
jump off the bridge too.

Generally, when one's friend jumps off a bridge for any reason,
one should question wether that friend made a good or bad
decision, or wether the decision the friend made carried with it
bad risks.  Then one should decide for themselves wether jumping
off that bridge is a good idea for themselves.