Xfree GL still does not coexist with the nVidia drivers

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 13:25:31 UTC 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Nils Philippsen wrote:

>> XFree86-Mesa-libGL had to be removed using the --nodeps flag.
>> Before installing the nVidia drivers with Fedora Core Test 3, the
>> GL screensavers ran with no problems, but I had to install the
>> dirvers to counteract the jittery mouse pointer in TuxRacer.
>> Then, to re-enable the GL screen-savers, I had to remove XFree GL
>>
>> version: XFree86-4.3.0-40
>
>My (completely uninformed) opinion on this is that it's a packaging bug
>on Nvidia's behalf -- they should put their libraries into e.g.
>/usr/local/lib/nvidia and list this path in /etc/ld.so.conf instead of
>overwriting the installed libraries.

Whatever path is found first is what I believe ld.so uses.
Another option would be for them to put it in a different path
and use LD_PRELOAD in a shell script perhaps, and also put their
X modules in a different path, and use ModulePath in the X server
config file.

The LD_PRELOAD is not necessarily the cleanest possible solution,
but it is an alternative at least.  People are free to suggest
other solutions.