Xfree GL still does not coexist with the nVidia drivers

Fri Oct 17 15:13:29 UTC 2003

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Elton Woo wrote:
>
> >XFree86-Mesa-libGL had to be removed using the --nodeps flag.
> >drivers to counteract the jittery mouse pointer in TuxRacer.
> >Then, to re-enable the GL screen-savers, I had to remove XFree GL
>
> Unless someone can genius up an acceptable and reasonable
> solution which doesn't have high implementation or package
> maintenance costs, then the existing solution will more or less
> remain.
>
> Nvidia doesn't seem to even care, as they just blow away random
> rpm installed files on a whim anyway.  Perhaps I should have rpm
> postinstall scripts mark the files immutable or something.

But then again, NVIDIA's FAQ states that their install is designed to run
on all distros, and that distributions are free to repackage their files
in, f.e., and RPM.  (which some distros do).  If someone made an NVIDIA
driver RPM for fedora, at least there would be a few less problems with
blowing files away...  (Of course.. I say this, using my radeon card with
the X supplied drivers just fine...).

 -- noah silva