apt vs yum

Fri Oct 17 15:28:14 UTC 2003

> > I find it odd to hear that you (Justin) found yum to be slower than apt.
> > It's my understanding that apt (for rpm) suffers from far more bloat and
> > frankly sucks the life out of my old pentiums. But it's so damn
> > effective and convenient, that I admin shy of two dozen redhat servers
> > with it. Again, I've not tried YUM..
>
> I don't recall saying that yum is slower.

I was the one that said that.  On every system I have tried so far, apt is
an order of magnitude faster than yum.  Worse yet, unless you explicitly
tell it not to, yum tries to do certain things -every-single- time you run
it.  (i.e. I really don't want to see "downloading headers" then I do "yum
install gimp").  Then again, a lot of things I just haven't found an apt
repo for, so...

 -- noah silva