Unable to set up OpenOffice.org 1.1

Jason Montleon monty19 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 16:38:54 UTC 2003

I had the same experience.  No icons, thought that was wierd so I rpm -e'd
the packages and then used up2date to reinstall them.  Still no icons so I
started looking around.  Tried running /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice
but that started an installer which failed miserably trying to copy files to
the directory I designated (something like /opt/OpenOffice.org).

I then did rpm -qi openoffice.org to look at the version of the RPM's I had
installed and by stupid luck I saw the bit about running oofice.  That did
the trick, but now when I run ooffice from the command line I get (which I
don't know if is good, bad, or indifferent):

sed: can't read
/home/jason/.openoffice/user/config/registry/instance/org/openoffice/Setup.xml:
No such file or directory

Other than that it seems to work great.

/usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice works now as well except it doesn't
cause the same warning/error.

Jason

>On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 15:24, Dee-Ann LeBlanc wrote:
>>When I run the OOo setup program, whether as root or an individual user,
>>I encounter so many errors during the file placement phase that I'm
>>unwilling to keep clicking Retry or Ignore to see how long it takes me
>>to get through. It becomes just about impossible around the 79% mark.
>>
>>Is anyone else encountering this problem? I noticed that after the install
>>of Test 3, the menus had no openoffice
>items.  So, I just ran ooffice and it created the menu items and runs
>just fine.
>>Byte

Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in
enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es