named service not listed in ntsysv

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Fri Oct 17 17:38:54 UTC 2003

On Friday 17 October 2003 11:54, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Gene C. (czar at czarc.net) said:
> > > Please file in bugzilla.
> >
> > Bill -- I am not sure this is really a bug.
> >
> > Many services, when they are installed, are not enabled or disabled ...
> > just installed -- there are no knnxxxx or snnxxxx symbolic links in the
> > /etc/rc?.d/ directories and, thus, chkconfig --list shows nothing.
> >
> > If you then do
> >      chkconfig --level 5 named off
> > the chkconfig --list named will show:
> > named           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
> >
> > However, the message from chkconfig could be a bit misleading.  Is that
> > what you want bugzilla'ed?
>
> If you get that message, that means chkconfig --add wasn't run; it
> should be, in most all cases.

This must be a Red Hat "policy" thing that packages that install a new service
make sure to add that service but "in a safe mode" -- httpd has "stop"
entries in all runlevels.

I find it interesting that is you have named only in runlevel 5 (either stop
or start, it does not matter) and nothing defined in the other runlevels,
then chkconfig --list reports the correct info for runlevel 5 but "off" for
the other runlevels.

To be consistent with your statement, shouldn't we bugzilla chkconfig to
report "on/off" (really start/stop) only where that is actually defined?  As
it now works, it will report that switching from runlevel 5 to runlevel 3
will stop named when this is not the case.
--
Gene