AMD Athlon64 Systems

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Fri Oct 17 18:12:37 UTC 2003

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 10:22:56AM -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>
>>Does a 64bit mozilla even make sense right now?
> What do you mean?  Mozilla recompiled for 64-bits on Alpha is a

Only talking about x86 here. So woul a 64bit version orf mozilla to run
on the K8 be much of a gain?

>>FWIW, I work with 64bit Solaris8, but most apps are still 32bit.
> SPARC is somewhat different story.  32-bit user space is faster
> there due to architectural issues.  This is not the case for every
> 64-bit processor.

That I didn't know. So on SPARC, only apps that need 64bit
registers/addresses should be compiled in 64bit apps?

>>Mozilla, OpenOffice.org for sure.
Clearification, Moz and OOo are 32bit on Solaris/SPARC.
I'm sure it would be possible to make 64bit versions.

> ftp://gatworks.com/OpenOffice1.0.2/01.norm/
> ftp://gatworks.com/OpenOffice1.0.2/DigitalAlphaPatches/LX164.OpenOffice.Patches.3.tar.bz2

So you know if those have been sent to OOo/Sun ?
If 64bit was a gain for OOo/SO, i expect Sun would offer it.
It could be a SPARC issue though, as noted above.

I think Mozilla has a 64bit option for JavaScript.

>>I would like to see a 64bit GIMP though...
> Hm, let us see.  Like that?

On a SPARC. Should be much better for effects (like the Photoshop plugin
for the new 64bit Macs). I see taroon has an x86_64 rpm too. Now to get
a K8 box to test on... So much to do, so little ca$h :(

Has anyone seen 64/32 bit comparisons of the GIMP on K8, SPARC, or PPC?

	-Thomas