Change Icon Spacing on Gnome Desktop

Justin Miller tehmiller at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 17 22:04:23 UTC 2003

Jason Montleon wrote:

>Yes but then when I right click and choose "Clean Up by Name" it's gonna put
>a Parsec between each icon again.  Ok,  I might be exagerating; it's a few
>less than 3.08568025 × 10^16 meters.....
>
>I guess what I am most looking for is the equivelant functionality of right
>clicking on a windows xp desktop (if you have one...), choosing the
>appearance tab, clicking advanced, choosing "Icon Spacing (Vertical)" from
>the Item Drop down and then setting the space between each icon (34 Pixels;
>it must be precisely 34 pixels under Windows XP @ 1024x768.)
>
>Then when I do "Arrange Icons by Name" it doesnt put a 1/2 Parsec between
>each icon.
>
>Sorry, I'm just super uptight and anal retentive about my desktop looking
>really neat (some would say barren.)
>
>Jason
>

>On October 17, 2003 12:53 pm, Jason Montleon , <Jason Montleon
><monty19 hotmail com>> wrote:
>

>>This is probably A) A really dumb question and B) A serious case of go
>>

>RTFM
>

>>But I am looking online and around in settings and I can find no way to
>>change the spacing of the desktop icons in Gnome.  Is there a way?  If so
>>how?
>>

>AFAIK, you simply grab the icons with your mouse and move them
>into position.
>

>--

I believe that there is no on-the-fly setting for these. When I upgraded
to Gnome 2.4, I couldn't find a way to shrink the giant spacing between
icons.
    Some of us like having the ability to more precisely arrage our
icons, but still have them aligned. I'll gladly exchange the
"right-click > Clean up" functionality to have this much greater degree
of controll. It was horrid on standard 2.4, especially if you enlarged
certain icons (as I do with 4 of my main folders) and some regular sized
icons, because the spacing was either a proverbial grand canyon, or
right on top of each other.