hardware or software problem? (fct3)

Paul Morgan paul.morgan at jumanjihouse.com
Sat Oct 18 19:46:39 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 02:11, Don Russell wrote:
> When it boots up for "first boot", it doesn't go into the graphical
> boot.... and after all the "starting...[OK]" messages a message:
>
> INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

try booting into runlevel 3, then run redhat-config-xfree86

specific instructions in case your new to linux:
at the grub bootloader, press an "e" on your os line, arrow down to the
line starting with "kernel" and press "e" again (to edit). at the end of
that line add " init 3", press enter, then press "b" (to boot).
if it boots ok, then login as root and run redhat-config-xfree86

you'll want to review /var/log/messages for relevant messages, too.

> The second hard disk is "slave" with the cdrom is "master. The other
> hard disk is master on the primary channel

There is nothing necessarily wrong with this, but from a performance
standpoint it is usually better to place fast devices such as hard
drives as master while placing slower drives as slaves.

> Have I done anything obviously stupid/silly? Should both hard disks be
> on the same channel and leave the cd by itself?

No. Main boot hard disk goes as primary master, next fastest disk (your
secondary hard drive) should go as secondary master, first optical
should go as secondary slave, and second optical should go as primary
slave. (from a performance standpoint, that is).

> Also, one error during install... I tried to create a boot diskette,
> but it got an error when trying to write to the disk.... I tried two
> different diskettes, then proceeded without a boot diskette.

That's ok for now. You can always run "mkbootdisk" after you have a
working system.

HTH -paul