is anyone using any speech / dictation with Fedora?

Mark Howell mhowell at northlink.com
Sun Oct 19 15:37:34 UTC 2003

[snip]
Elton wrote

> Noted, also that there is some move afoot
> for a suitable open
> source replacement called Sphinx: http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/sphinx/
>
> comments, please?

[snip]

I'm familiar with Sphinx. There are actually three generations out there; 2
and 3 are C and build fine on Linux (I played with 2 on my Zaurus a few
months back) and 4, which is all Java. AFAICT none of them are built to be
dictation systems, but that is not to say they couldn't be adapted by
someone with ASR expertise and a lot of time. (And to match the performance
of Dragon or Via Voice, that's a *lot* of time I suspect).

Mark.