CD 2 keeps giving me a wrong MD5

Sean Earp smearp at mac.com
Sun Oct 19 16:41:31 UTC 2003

On Sunday, October 19, 2003, at 09:19 AM, Aldert E. van der Laan wrote:

> Here is the MD5Sum I pulled from the files I have so far:
>
> 2554dce37cb3beedb8973ba1d7706228 *severn-i386-disc2.iso
>
> And ALL of them are the same......
>
> I did save the four downloads in four different directories. I am
> downloading on a Win XP machine as I do not have a CD burner in my old
> laptop.
>
> Did I manage to start downloading while the servers are being updated
> (file dates are 10/10/2003).
> I really want to start testing with this as my new laptop is due to
> arrive in a month or so and I want to make sure my setup is still going
> to work.
>>
>> Oh, I did burn CD2 and the  media check also fails (just to make sure
>> the MD5SUMS are giving me the right answer), luckily CD's are cheap.
>
>   The mediacheck is brain-dead (see bug #106685), although disk #2 is
> the one disk I _haven't_ gotten spurious errors on.  Is md5sum giving
> you the same wrong md5 sum for each of the servers (if so, what is
> it?),
> or a different md5 sum each time?

I was having problems with bad CD's (although I was using 3 year old
no-name CD-R's... shame on me), and instead of running down to CompUSA
to pick up some good media, I just did an install via FTP, which worked
fine.  You can boot to CD #1 (or to the boot.iso cd... you can pick it
up at
<ftp://ftp.dulug.duke.edu/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/severn/
en/os/i386/images/boot.iso>), and at the first prompt, type "linux
askmethod".   After prompting you for your language and keyboard,
choose "ftp install" and it will ask you for your server.  I used:

Server:  ftp.dulug.duke.edu
Directory:  ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/severn/en/os/i386/

Installing via FTP has the added advantage of not requiring you to swap
CD's during the install, and unlike RH9, the install is fully
graphical.  Just a suggestion...

-Sean

BTW, my MD5SUM on disc 2 was: d413940309010b297e491c0d9760d34a    which
is exactly what it was supposed to be.  I downloaded my copy from
bittorrent <http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/>.  If you want to have the
actual 3 CD set, you might give that a shot.   BitTorrent theoretically
does such a good job of consistency checking, that MD5 or SHA1 checking
is redundant (at least that is what the FAQ says... take it for what it
is worth).