Up2date hangs at Testing Package Set

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Mon Oct 20 07:30:58 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 01:23, Andy Green wrote:

> > OK, now I'm a bit new to this so please if you can, give detailed
> > suggestions.  Like don't tell me to reload the old up2date becasuse I've
> > always used up2date to do my updates.  Where would I get that package etc.?
>
> I already suffered this.... I concluded the hang is caused by package
> interdependencies for some rpms that cannot be satisfied by the set of RPMs
> already installed.
>
> I'm really pleased to hear its not just me suffering these strange events :-)
>
> I did finally successfully update this machine to test3 by using up2date
> repeatedly to install all of the packages that could be installed without the
> hang, killing up2date if it did hang and trying again with half the packages
> deselected binary search-wise.
>
> In the end I had eight or ten packages that would hang up2date.  I found out
> the URL being used by up2date to fetch the packages
>
> http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide//i386/RedHat/RPMS/
>
> and downloaded the bad boys by hand using a browser.  When I installed by hand
> by rpm some complained about uninstalled dependencies -- this is what hung
> up2date I believe.  One of the deps was rhgb needing libvte (package vte-*)
> for example.

I have been suffering the same strange up2date behavior. I found that
up2date was not really hanged, but it was downloading header "hdr" files
for every know platform (i386, i686, ppc64, ia64) so it could take ages
to complete.

I solved my problem by manually upgrading to the latest up2date version
from the rawhide repository.