Up2date hangs at Testing Package Set

Andy Green fedora at warmcat.com
Mon Oct 20 07:38:25 UTC 2003

On Monday 20 October 2003 08:30, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

Hi Felipe -

(Do I not recall your name from the XP beta :?) )

> > I already suffered this.... I concluded the hang is caused by package
> > interdependencies for some rpms that cannot be satisfied by the set of
> > RPMs already installed.

> I have been suffering the same strange up2date behavior. I found that
> up2date was not really hanged, but it was downloading header "hdr" files
> for every know platform (i386, i686, ppc64, ia64) so it could take ages
> to complete.

I think these may be two different behaviours.  The behaviour I described is a
hang with no CPU or network activity, and requires a kill -9 to stop the
process.  Further it occured still with the up2date of yesterday.  I think
this particular problem is due to a situation where up2date cannot handle the
error condition back from rpm that there are unsatisfied dependencies and
perhaps it continues to sit there stalled optimistically hoping for a success
error condition.

Additionally, in a previous up2date version I did see the UI fill up with all
those ia64 etc versions, that was a couple of weeks ago and went away when I
updated up2date itself.

-Andy