Up2date hangs at Testing Package Set

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Mon Oct 20 10:50:21 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 09:38, Andy Green wrote:
> On Monday 20 October 2003 08:30, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
>
> Hi Felipe -
>
> (Do I not recall your name from the XP beta :?) )

Yep! I was on the XP beta, and also on 2000 and Me :-)
Back from the dark side? ;-)

> > I have been suffering the same strange up2date behavior. I found that
> > up2date was not really hanged, but it was downloading header "hdr" files
> > for every know platform (i386, i686, ppc64, ia64) so it could take ages
> > to complete.
>
> I think these may be two different behaviours.  The behaviour I described is a
> hang with no CPU or network activity, and requires a kill -9 to stop the
> process.  Further it occured still with the up2date of yesterday.  I think
> this particular problem is due to a situation where up2date cannot handle the
> error condition back from rpm that there are unsatisfied dependencies and
> perhaps it continues to sit there stalled optimistically hoping for a success
> error condition.

I have been suffering from the behavior you describe sometimes in the
past. However, after uprading to the latest up2date version in Rawhide,
I've unable to reproduce any hangs or misbehavior. Cross fingers!

> Additionally, in a previous up2date version I did see the UI fill up with all
> those ia64 etc versions, that was a couple of weeks ago and went away when I
> updated up2date itself.

I tend to use the ncurses-based up2date instead of the graphical one.
Thus, I didn't notice the ia64 and ppc64 stuff till I looked into
/var/spool/up2date directory. I'll try using the GUI up2date for a while
to see if it keeps downloading the wrong architecture files.

Thanks!