rpm Strangeness when trying to erase kernels.

Philip Trickett phil-ml at techworks.ie
Mon Oct 20 12:33:07 UTC 2003

Hi,

I am running the fedora core beta, all the way from when it was severn
;)

I am trying to un-install previous kernels that were installed by yum
during upgrades:
[phil at unagi phil]$ rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.6.0-0.test6.1.47
kernel-2.6.0-0.test7.1.52
kernel-2.6.0-0.test6.1.48
kernel-2.6.0-0.test6.1.49
kernel-2.6.0-0.test7.1.51
kernel-2.4.22-1.2087.nptl

I am trying to remove the 2.6 series kernels for now, so that I can go
back to 2.4 for a little while.

when I try to remove a kernel:
[phil at unagi phil]$ sudo rpm -e kernel-2.6.0-0.test6.1.47

rpm looks as if it is pre-processing (a fair bit of disk access), and
then the rpm process takes 100% cpu usage and just stays that way
indefinitely.

Is there any other way to remove the kernels? I have tried via yum, but
it says that the kernel is not installed.

Cheers,

Phil