lilo vs grub

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Oct 20 15:45:59 UTC 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Monday 20 October 2003 08:07, Chris Ricker uttered:
> > This is because grub can't be installed to /dev/md?. LILO, in contrast,
> > can.
> >
> > You can work around it by manually installing GRUB to both components in
> > the mirror, but that's lame....
>
> Not really, because I'm sure thats what LILO is doing in it's code.

Right, but it's not manual, which means it works for the average admin,
which means it's not lame. In lilo.conf you put /dev/md0 and everything Just
Works. One disk dies, and you automagically boot off the other.

grub needs to do the same w/o requiring manual intervention. Look in
bugzilla for long bugs with lots of people subscribed to them who've found
out the hard way that when you mirror on RH w/ grub and one disk dies, you
will not boot until you hunt up a rescue disk and figure out how to
reinstall grub.

later,
chris