lilo vs grub

Samuel Flory sflory at rackable.com
Mon Oct 20 16:36:33 UTC 2003

Mark Mielke wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 10:54:42PM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>I think that LILO and GRUB should both be included in the distribution.
>>An important utility like a boot loader should have a backup version. I
>>needed lilo to restore my ability to boot when I changed drives on the
>>primary master.
>>Grub failed on an intermediate stage and I would have not been able to
>>boot my system successfully without having lilo.
>

> Why didn't you have a backup grub partition? You didn't need lilo to boot.
> You happened to have lilo. Note the difference. Also, grub can be put
> stand-alone on a floppy that allows you to re-install grub without booting
> the system up. Lilo gives you nothing of this.
>

>>If it is a better choice for the eyes free mode for users. It makes even
>>more sense to start including it again.
>

> Why is it a better choice? Why does it make even more sense to start
> including again?

   Because lilo works on some configs that grub does not work on.  I
have  at least 2 systems that will not boot with grub.  I've encountered
instances with friends where grub-install to reinstall grub on to the mbr.

> I find lilo to be dangerous - if you don't run lilo after moving the kernel
> image, or installation a new kernel image, you are dead. Grub gives you
> several different options to work from.

   Actually your system will boot just fine if the filesystem hasn't
reclaimed the space used by the file;-)  Person I like the fact that I
have to run lilo.  It's a great sanity check.  With grub you really
can't be sure your system will be able to reboot.

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)