lilo vs grub

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Oct 20 16:49:49 UTC 2003

If lilo does things today that are useful to people and that grub cannot
yet do, what's wrong with including lilo?

Mark Mielke writes:
> From: Mark Mielke <mark at mark.mielke.cc>
>
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 10:54:42PM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> > I think that LILO and GRUB should both be included in the distribution.
> > An important utility like a boot loader should have a backup version. I
> > needed lilo to restore my ability to boot when I changed drives on the
> > primary master.
> > Grub failed on an intermediate stage and I would have not been able to
> > boot my system successfully without having lilo.
>
> Why didn't you have a backup grub partition? You didn't need lilo to boot.
> You happened to have lilo. Note the difference. Also, grub can be put
> stand-alone on a floppy that allows you to re-install grub without booting
> the system up. Lilo gives you nothing of this.
>
> > If it is a better choice for the eyes free mode for users. It makes even
> > more sense to start including it again.
>
> Why is it a better choice? Why does it make even more sense to start
> including again?
>
> I find lilo to be dangerous - if you don't run lilo after moving the kernel
> image, or installation a new kernel image, you are dead. Grub gives you
> several different options to work from.

Ahem, you're supposed to have that back up disk? Right? Just as you said
"have a backup grub partition?" Let's at least be consistent!

> I see no reason why lilo should continue to be developed, or why it should
> be re-included into fedora or redhat.

Two different issues. The reason it should be put back in is that grub
isn't doing everything we need out of a boot loader yet. Guess the grub
folks were short on their user requirements list.

> If you have a problem with how it works 'eyes free', your efforts would be
> better spent making suggestions to the grub developers, or even better,
> providing source code patches for them to work from.

Meanwhile we're supposed to suffer? I think not.

> Cheers,
> mark
>
> --
> mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________
> .  .  _  ._  . .   .__    .  . ._. .__ .   . . .__  | Neighbourhood Coder
> |\/| |_| |_| |/    |_     |\/|  |  |_  |   |/  |_   |
> |  | | | | \ | \   |__ .  |  | .|. |__ |__ | \ |__  | Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
>
>   One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all
>                        and in the darkness bind them...
>
>                            http://mark.mielke.cc/
>

> --

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group