lilo vs grub

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Oct 20 16:55:50 UTC 2003

Jesse Keating writes:
> From: Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net>

> On Monday 20 October 2003 08:45, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > grub needs to do the same w/o requiring manual intervention. Look in
> > bugzilla for long bugs with lots of people subscribed to them who've
> > found out the hard way that when you mirror on RH w/ grub and one
> > disk dies, you will not boot until you hunt up a rescue disk and
> > figure out how to reinstall grub.
>
> Seems like a trivial enough fix, one could almost script it to call grub
> for mirror grub installs.  Has anybody RFE'd this to the upstream grub
> maintainers?
And I suspect my list of eyes-free features is also trivial to
implement--though I am not capable to do the coding.

Point is that grub needs an expanded set of user requirements. Was there
evern such a process there? Or did some folks sit down to do what they
thought a boot loader should do?

After all, this is a very critical stage in the process. Most users
don't want to know about it, and that's fine. But, where it matters, it
really matters.

--

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group