LILO

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Oct 20 18:20:15 UTC 2003

Jef Spaleta writes:
> From: Jef Spaleta <jspaleta at princeton.edu>
>
> Janina Sajka wrote:
>
> > 2.)	Interface to a serial device
>
> From the commands info subsection of the grub infopage:
>
> general commands:
> * serial::                      Set up a serial device
>  - Command: serial [`--unit=unit'] [`--port=port'] [`--speed=speed']
>           [`--word=word'] [`--parity=parity'] [`--stop=stop']
>           [`--device=dev']
>
> * terminal::                    Choose a terminal
> - Command: terminal [`--dumb'] [`--no-echo'] [`--no-edit']
>           [`--timeout=secs'] [`--lines=lines'] [`--silent'] [`console']
>           [`serial'] [`hercules']
>
> There is an info subsection for serial terminals as well
> Might even want to look at the "preset menu" info subsection.

Yes, I was not clear about this one. This is very helpful, but there is
a second, requirement to just send a text message to a (possibly
present, possibly absent) serial device without establishing a full
interface.

I suppose that should have been two items.

> > 4)  The command line should still expire after a user defined
> interval.
>
> menu-specific commands
> * hiddenmenu::                  Hide the menu interface
>  - Command: hiddenmenu
>      Don't display the menu. If the command is used, no menu will be
>      displayed on the control terminal, and the default entry will be
>      booted after the timeout expired. The user can still request the
>      menu to be displayed by pressing <ESC> before the timeout expires.
>      See also *Note Hidden menu interface::.
>
> * timeout::                     Set the timeout
>  - Command: timeout sec
>      Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the
>      default entry (normally the first entry defined).

This isn't the same thing. I'm aware you can do the time out from the
menu interface. What about the command line interface? Does it, can it
also time out?

--

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group