X86 and Monitor

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Mon Oct 20 18:23:00 UTC 2003

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Noah Silva [Mailing list] wrote:
>

>>I have a sun 21 inch monitor, and anaconda couldn't detect it, so I put in
>>"Generic CRT -> 1600x1400".  When the install completed, it came up in

Sounds like the installer gave it as an option.

> XFree86 does not contain built in video modelines for 1600x1400
> nor for 2048x1600, so you'll have to enter your own video
> modelines in order to use either of those rather obscure
> resolutions.
>
> I'm kindof surprised either resolution is even valid.  ;o)

I didn't think there was an invalid resolution in XF86.

I've toyed with modelines and gotten some truly strange ones.
I had one monitor that couldn't do 1600x1200 noninterlaced, but it could
so do 60Hz-ni a few pixles less (like 1550x1150 or similar). XF865 never
complained.

	-Thomas