Speakup in kernel

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Mon Oct 20 19:48:32 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:55:37AM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> I think we're also trying to move it upstream as a coordinated componant
> in a matrix of devices requiring support from the bios through the
> desktop.

Wow, I'm having trouble groking that.  I maintain that if it can
be submitted for our kernel, it can be submitted upstream.  If it
is not ready for upstream, I stand by my opinion that it is not
ready for our kernel either.

> Indeed, there is a releated FSG project now getting under way
> in the new Accessibility WG I chair under FSG.

I'm thinking lkml and kernel.org, not FSG...

> Meanwhil, modularized Speakup is good stuff and much needed today. I
> would venture to say that we listened when we were told "modularize it."
> However, are we waiting for perfection in any product to put it in the
> distro? I suspect not. So, please accept our significant progress with
> the strong assurance that we share the larger, more long-term goal to
> "move upstream."

We're rather late for FC1.

Has the driver been ported (inasmuch as is necessary) to 2.6 yet?

Finally, this is really a fedora-devel-list topic.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/