lilo vs grub

Mark Hoover mahoover at ispaceonline.org
Tue Oct 21 03:20:28 UTC 2003

From: Mark Mielke <mark at mark.mielke.cc>
 >The argument about having to install grub on multiple partitions with
 >RAID-1 is just silly. You only need to do it once every time you
 >upgrade grub. With lilo, you have to do it every single time you
 >upgrade your kernel, and every time you upgrade lilo. "Suffer" is an
 >exaggeration in the context of this argument.

I find it absolutely amazing that someone who seems to fight so strongly
in favor of the choice to use Grub seems to be so against allowing those
who wish to use Lilo and have it included as an option in the installer.
I've yet to see anybody here suggest removing Grub as an installer
option.  Most here would even be content to see it left as the default
option for those who are new to Linux.

But how can we claim to be in favor of software choice when at the basic
level of the bootloader we can't even let there be a choice for those
who don't want to use one or the other.