Xfree GL still does not coexist with the nVidia drivers

Joe joe at tmsusa.com
Tue Oct 21 04:20:26 UTC 2003

Nils Philippsen wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 09:00, Joe wrote:
>

>>Elton Woo wrote:
>>

>>>I'm starting to wonder if my next video card upgrade should be
>>>an ATI or Matrox instead. Both are made in Canada, and Matrox
>>>is in  Montreal West.
>>>

>>Nah, after your box keeps locking up solid just from starting up an
>>OpenGL game, you'll dump the ATI and put the nvidia back in :-)
>>
>>I've been there -
>>

>Hmm, my Radeon didn't crash on me in a very long time (with the OSS
>drivers and using 3D apps). I guess this depends on the card used. Mind
>that I also heard about Nvidias crashing so I don't see your point.

Oh - my point is that I've got 10 or 20 linux boxes, and all of my
desktops have nvidia cards now, as a result of bitter experience. As an
avid player of quake 3 arena and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I think I
probably have a lot more data points than most under my belt, and I know
whereof I speak. Yeah, I've heard the rumors about nvidias crashing too
- and I'm not sure what to make of them - much as I'd like to make my
nvidia cards crash, I just haven't been able to do it. Mind you, I
really wanted to give ATI my business, but it was a very bad experience
and they really don't seem to care about Linux as much as nvidia does.
Drivers - closed source, opensource, just give me a good, solid, fast
linux driver and I'm happy. nvidia has done that, and 3dfx did too,
before they went under. I haven't seen any other video card
manufacturers work so hard to earn my business.

Best Regards,

Joe